Crock Pot Beef Tips

I'm not the biggest red meat fan, but I am dangerous around some beef tips. I could stand over the pot all night and pick at it.

I think I prefer the carrots separately, but it's easier (and Shayne likes it better) to throw them in with the meat and onions (and garlic, lots of). I also prefer a thicker gravy (like Mom makes) but when short on time, I'll take the thin broth that comes from the Crock Pot method. I probably had time while the rice cooked to transfer the meat and veggies to a stove-top pot and ad in some Tony's roux mix to thicken it up (brown rices takes forever to cook). But instead, I spent that time folding laundry!

Overall it was gooood. Although this time there was too little salt. At least that's easier to fix. Do you have this much trouble getting the salt/seasoning right? It's hard to do when you rush, I think I need to slooooow doooown.

Tomorrow night: leftovers extravaganza! Which is usually the Friday thang.

(parentheses!)

3 comments:

  1. this is going to sound stupid but...

    ok, i remember last few times specifically buying BEEF TIPS. this time i bought STEW MEAT.

    same thing, or am i dreaming?

    also - what all do you season with? i can't remember. post so it will last FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, stew meat works. i use it sometimes when they don't have beef tips. i am not educated enough about cuts of meat to tell you the difference, but whatever. any lean, chunky beef bits are go.

    i put onions and garlic in the bottom of the pot, then carrots. i sprinkle the carrots with a little salt and white pepper. then i lay in the beef, and season it with salt, black pepper and tony's. i try to flip each piece around so all the sides get seasoned. there's gotta be a less messy way to do that, though - maybe shake it in a ziploc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i should stress this: the way i did it this time was more of a pot roast flavor. if you're looking for mom's beef tips, you will need to do the Tony's roux mix thing (take it out of the crock pot and simmer it on the stove a little while, mixed with a little roux mix dissolved in cold water). but either way is delicious.

    ReplyDelete