Potatoes & Green Beans

You said you don't mind using bacon in your green beans. Okay. Here's the least healthy way to eat green beans I can think of. The only way to make it less healthy would maybe be to add whole sticks of fried cheese in with the butter. I haven't made this in a long time. I don't know why (other than I don't want to die), because it really is very good, and is probably not all that bad when eaten responsibly. I don't know if it's meant to be a side dish or what, but I think of it as a meal on it's own. But trust me when I say it's freaking delicious and you need to have it at least once. It would be badass with cornbread.


Potatoes & Green Beans

1 can French-cut green beans
6 slices of bacon
2 cups new potatoes, diced coarsely
1 medium chopped onion
1 tbsp garlic
4 tbsp butter (aww yeah)

In a stew pot, boil potatoes til they are just soft; drain and move them to a separate bowl. Fry bacon in the pot you boiled potatoes in; remove the bacon and drain on paper towel. Leaving the bacon grease in the pot (haha! weee!), add potatoes, crumbled bacon, green beans, onion, garlic and butter. Toss everything around together, then turn the heat up and cover the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Let sit 20 minutes covered before serving (to let the flavors meld as it cools).


Nothing fancy, just old fashioned awesome.

3 comments:

  1. OMG did you MIL come up with this? I'm not sure I can physically allow myself to eat bacon grease but I will try one day.

    The porkchops I'm making tonight (new recipe...there are APPLES, so we'll see) have a whole stick of butter with them, so I'm not sure why I'm afraid of a little bacon grease.

    Ok, Ok, I use SmartBalance. The made up, fake ass ingredients scare the shit out of me but I'm trying to lose weight first, then I'll worry about WTF I'm actually putting in my body. At least I'm not living off of cigarettes and vodka, which was my VERY SUCCESSFUL diet plan pre-Will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, i actually got this from kelley! remember when they had that plantation house we went to out in mississippi? she made it there for dinner one night and gave me the recipe.

    she also taught me to stuff hulled-out jalepeno halves with cream cheese, wrap them in bacon and bake them. an equally delicious way to die!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very excited to hear about apple pork chops, btw. report back on that!

    ReplyDelete