Mom's Vegetable Soup

AHOY, SISTER-COUSIN!

So awhile back I was making all these promises about sending you the recipe for mom's vegetable soup! You know what I did instead? I sent it to a blog friend, but not you! I'm an awful, awful person! I guess because I wanted to write it to you separately, full of State quotes and inside jokes, but then I never got around to it.

(I cried when Marcel hung this piece. True story.)

I'm going to try to reword my notes into an actual recipe, so, hold on.

Vegetable (Beef) Soup*

(The beef can be left out, I guess. I leave it out of the title, so it sounds less like something they would serve you in the school cafeteria.)


1 lb. stew meat
1 onion, chopped
SOME BUTTER I GUESS
random amounts of water
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 sm. cans of tomato sauce (I have never seen a single person posses the big can of tomato sauce)
3 stalks celery, chopped
salt, pepper, Tony's to taste
2 - 3 potatoes, chopped
5 - 6 carrots, sliced (or frozen, my store doesn't have frozen sliced carrots, WTH)
Small frozen bags of corn, green beans, and butter beans

Melt the butter in a giant pot. Put the meat and onion all up in it, until the meat is just brown. Add water to cover meat and onions plus about 1" over. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery, and seasonings.*
Bring to a boil (Call me old fashioned; but I think fire is magic, and it scares me a lot.), cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add potatoes, carrots and simmer for 30 more minutes. (I will often think of you when I'm in less than pants.)

Add frozen vegetables. (I wouldn't wipe my ass with Billy's The Four Food Groups!) This is probably where you would add the spaghetti noodles if you are living in the Lofton house circa 1989. Your call. Bring to a boil again and then simmer, covered, for 15 - 20 more minutes.

EAT WITH GRILLED CHEESE (or cheese on toast, slightly melted in the microwave, which is how Mom and I do it SHUT UP KENDRA IT TASTES GOOD AND IS EASY.)

As you know it makes a shit-ton. As you know, my husband is just like our dad (who, your father?), so I had to freeze a lot for special Krista-meals when he's gone. It's like a tiny healthy surprise in my freezer! Right next to last year's Cadbury eggs and mango popsicles (you should try those, mmm).

Oh, hey, can Curt eat soup without making an ass out of himself? When can kids do that? (CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE WROTE ALLLLL MY PLAYS)



I LOVE YOU.

*it says TO TASTE, but do you REALLY want to taste at this point?
 
(I don't care about America, all I care about is sex and booze and pills!)

No comments:

Post a Comment