Hamburger Steaks (Bonus: Pronto Pups)

Mom gave me this recipe after I had it at her house one night. Dad kept talking about she would make it once a week when "the girls were little" but honestly I don't remember that. I think Dad's getting senile. Don't tell him I said that.

(Speaking of senile...we had this conversation over the phone a couple of weeks ago, didn't we? Crap.)

Anyway, this recipe is so hardcore Will-approved. He said, and I quote, "You finally served some MAN FOOD."

(The outcome of that exclamation is between Will and I only...but I did have to buy more band-aids the next day.)

Hamburger Steaks

Hamburger patties (hee, paddies. hee. heehee.)
Salt, pepper, Tony's
Oil for frying
Brown gravy mix (I used two envelopes - not crazy about Tony's mix)
1 onion, chopped

I AM KEEPING THE EXACT WORDS MOM WROTE ME:

Salt, pepper and Tony's on patties. Brown patties in a little oil. Drain and place in a casserole dish and cover with brown gravy. I just use a brown gravy mix. Don't sprinkle it dry...make it in a saucepan first :-) Sprinkle with chopped onions. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about an hour.

DON'T SPRINKLE IT DRY, KRISTA. She knows me pretty well. She served hers over rice, mine was over mashed potatoes (I think I was trying to get the disposal fixed or the bird feeder filled or something). Both ways was delicious!

This was also in the email, but will be one of those things I'll let other people made - there is no way any "deep fat" is getting into my house.

(Also exactly how she wrote it):

Pronto Pups

1/2 cup meal
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsps. salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg beaten

Mix with beater and fry in deep fat.

If you venture down this path of Marksville fast food, save one for me! I like the mustard ones.

4 comments:

  1. well, i mean, OF COURSE i'm going to make them. as soon as i wrap them in bacon. and figure out how to insert cheese into them.

    I'M KIDDING.

    but i do break out my little baby fry daddy sometimes and go to TOWN on some okra.

    those hamburger steaks are on my list now. i'll probably make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PREPARE TO BE LOVED BY ALL THE MENS IN YOUR HOUSE.

      Delete
  2. So...I haven't made the pronto pups yet, but I have a question. Hot dogs are completely different now than they were when we were little, aren't they? I remember there used to be thinner, redder hot dogs. Now they're all these pale, fat, superdogs or whatever. I'm worried the pronto pup experience will not be authentic because of this.

    Discuss.

    Or not, whatever. I just don't have a whole lot going on today. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe we should try them when you come for easter. hmm.

      my first instinct is to say buy the cheapest dogs you can find? i still see the thin red ones out and about (carnivals, harry's, ditches, etc etc) so they are out there!

      Delete