Creamy Jambalaya Pasta

Please disregard the drafts clogging up our dashboard. I'm trying to clean out my recipe basket and the bookmarks on all of my devices - laptop, home computer, work computer, and phone. It's a bit of a mess.

So a mutual high school friend of ours has recently posted some recipes of his on Facebook for his friends to try out. Out of the three he's posted so far, I chose the one that had ingredients I totally already had on hand because I'm not about to go out to the store and buy ginger root and red wine vinegar. (If I could get the money back for every bottle of different types of vinegar I have bought and then had to toss - I wouldn't be cooking, my ass would be sitting at the Red River Grill noshing on duck).

There are three things that I try very, very hard to steer clear of if friends recommend them: books, music, recipes. Books are the hardest, because I'm super picky and most of my friends have shit-tacular taste in books. Music is a bit easier, but still dodgy (file swapping over a six pack of Corona is okay, don't worry). I don't get offered a lot of recipes, but when I do, I ignore them.

(The exception to this rule is actually Jodi who not only has terrific taste in both books and music, but also hoo boy, can that girl cook! Don't tell her I ever paid her a compliment like that, though, okay?)

Anyway, I don't know what made me want to try this. I had the stuff? I was bored? I was already getting my weekly meal plan together? Whatever it was, I decided to throw him a bone and I'm kind of glad I did. I really, really liked this dish and it will probably make it in my rotation.



CREAMY JAMBALAYA PASTA

(it makes a lot)

1 lb curly pasta such as fusili
1 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
l large red onion, finely diced, divided into 2 equal parts
1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb beef kielbasa link sausage or similar (I used turkey, duh)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp flat leaf Italian parsley, minced*

Prepare the pasta in a large pasta pot in salty water. The water should be salty like sea-water. (I did not test the water - ew) Drain and cover.

Meanwhile, in a large pot such as a Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Sauté half of the onion, the bell pepper, garlic and sausage until tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the cream and allow it to warm through, but not boil. Add in the pasta to the cream mixture and toss until well combined. Use the remaining red onion, parsley and Parmesan cheese to garnish as desired.

Easy and fast and delicious. Even Willy-pad liked it! I did add a hellacious amount of Tony's and a dash of Tabasco. You can't call something jambalaya and not have it a little spicy, I'm sorry. I will give our friend kudos on something that usually bugs the crap out of me about recipes - his measurements were all spot on. I was a couple ounces shy of a pound of pasta (I used rotini, if that matters to you) so I slimmed down the amount of onion I used, but it all turned out perfect.

(Also, I learned a NEW TRICK. I got this mini-food processor for free for being an old lady and collecting stamps from my grocery store, okay? And I used it to chop up the onion and bell pepper and even though you end up having to drain the juices the pieces end up SO SMALL that a husband cannot detect the vegetables! AH-HA! I GOT YOU, PATRICK BATEMAN!)

Also, I kept thinking how good this would be with shrimp instead of sausage. Or chicken and bacon. This would be so good with chicken and bacon, Kendra.

Pasta dishes are one of my favorites, because I think I like this tag best.

*Do you have herb scissors? Every time I use mine I think of you. I think you need a pair.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I will definitely make it, and I think you're onto something with chicken and bacon. (I mean, DUH) Or maybe Italian sausage? I bought my first ever Italian sausage and served it with some ravioli last week and it was gooood.

    Wait, WTF are herb scissors??

    ReplyDelete
  2. that even sounds good to me...but with chicken bacon because i am not a fan of sausage.

    ReplyDelete