Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie

You know this recipe. Even if you've never made it, even if you've never tasted it, you know this recipe because it's been on the back of the Bisquick box since before you were born.

So I'm in my empty house yesterday, staring into my empty pantry, determined not to go grocery shopping. What can I make with what little I have? Spaghetti? No, I don't have tomato sauce. Sandwiches? No, I don't have bread. Chicken? No, I don't have...chicken.

I do have a lump of hamburger at the bottom of the freezer, a couple of almost-expired eggs, a box of Bisquick left over from Christmas and that laaast little bit of milk that sits in the jug because it's not quite enough for a bowl of cereal.

Inspiring, no? Let's look at this recipe in the harsh light of day:

___________________________________________

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie

• 1 lb lean ground beef
• 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup shredded cheddar
• ½ cup Bisquick mix
• 1 cup milk
• 2 eggs

Oven temp: 400

Spray baking dish with cooking spray. Cook beef and onion in a skillet until beef is brown. Drain, and stir in salt. Spread in baking dish, and sprinkle with cheese.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into dish, over the meat. Bake about 25 minutes, or until center is done (test with a knife or toothpick).

___________________________________________

Yes, the only seasoning you'll need here is 1/2 tsp of salt and an onion. Of course.

When you're done laughing (I'll wait......), please, get the garlic, black pepper, Tony's and Worcestershire sauce out, because damn, y'all. This ain't the Depression Era Midwest.

I did my best to spice up the meat. If I'd had any mushrooms or crumbled bacon, I would have added that. Hell, you can probably add anything you want to this dish, because let's face it - this is a Bottom Of The Barrel Casserole. This is what you make when there is nothing else to make, and no one to impress.

I raised an eyebrow as I poured the Bisquick mixture over the cheese. It was runny, and you could still see egg yolk floating around on top. The batter didn't sit on top of the casserole - it ran down into it. I was skeptical, but intrigued, as it baked.

How to describe the finished product? Well, not "pie," for damn sure. It was more like...a meat sponge. Sort of a fluffy hamburger quiche, but more squishy and airy. Ignore the picture on the box - you can't cut into this, you can only glop it out with a spoon. Cow cobbler.

It tasted okay. It was still a little bland, but you just knew it would be. It was hot, filling, quick and easy, though. And I didn't have to put on shoes and wade through the Super Walmart on a weekend to make it. Because it satisfied all of my low standard requirements for success, I declare it one!

Shayne enjoyed it. You know Will would love it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment