mom food

This isn't a recipe at all, more of a "hey, remember eating this?"

Do you remember when mom used to make that stuff with the ground meat (and onion soup!) and then she would slice potatoes and put them on top with a ton of pepper and bake it? And then she would put cheese on the top of the potatoes and get it all good and gooey and melty between the potatoes?

That is what we had last night. And it was perfect. Thanks, mom, for making that so much when we were kids. If I recall, I may have asked for it as my "special meal" on birthdays, yeah?

(I was kind of ashamed as Will watched me unwrap Kraft single after Kraft single and place it over our supper. Especially after I kind of maybe threw a tiny fit that he even brought that filthy processed junk into our home but...well, now we can make grilled cheese sandwiches! And cheese grits like Britney's daddy instead of my super confusing way! Thanks, Kraft!)

5 comments:

  1. i do remember that stuff! sometimes she would bake chicken and put potatoes on top with the pepper, too, right? there was not cheese in the chicken version, though.

    ANYWAY, wow, i never even thought to make that stuff, but it would be very good on a cold night. i'm glad you mentioned the french onion soup mix - if i made it from memory, it would be really bland because i would totally have forgotten that part.

    mom food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i live for some mom food. mmmm.

    the first time i made shepherd's pie i didn't think to put in onion soup and so it WAS very bland. i thought pam's mom must have been working some crazy magic! but, no, i figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and YES the chicken and potatoes. well, i forgot about the potatoes, i have done her chicken (PEPPER!). now i'll have to add taters precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I kinda want a recipe because I'm intrigued? You mentioned potatoes and cheese, so you know I am interested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds really good! Trashy, but good, which to me is not an insult. :-)

    ReplyDelete