Blue Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Spread

So, we both know we totally equate food with love, yes? We can admit to that? Is there any better feeling in the world than holding on to a recipe that people beg you to make? The guys at work are crazy for the coconut cake, dad begs me for grandma’s carrot cake, and Christy’s favorite part of our Christmas meal is a certain dip I make. This year, for the first time, we’re having Christmas dinner at her house, and while we haven’t sat down and discussed a menu yet (obviously, it’s only October, after all) she’s already asked for this dip…in fact, she asked me to bring it back in July, when she agreed to host dinner. She has reminded me about it every conversation since. Dad loves it, too, but it might not be up your alley. You may have even tasted this at mom and dad’s house, as I make a batch for him as well. You have to really like blue cheese, and I can’t remember if you do. I don’t know why I only make this around Christmas, it’s just a thing with me.

Blue Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Spread

(makes around 2 cups of dip)

½ cup butter, softened
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 4 oz package crumbled blue cheese
2 tbsp chopped green onions
2 tbsp roasted rep pepper, drained, finely chopped*
½ tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp Tabasco
¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve with crackers (the fancy ones that have those butterfly shapes and all, ha) and vegetables.

It’ll last up to a week in your fridge, and it’s better at room temp, so make sure and take it out a bit before you’re ready to eat.

*I’m not sure I do it right, but to roast my red peppers I cover them in olive oil and stick ‘em under the broiler set on low, on the top rack so they’ll be close to the heat. Watch them closely and when the skin starts to turn brown and bubble on one side, flip it over. Keep watching and flipping until the whole pepper looks like that. When it’s done, immediately put it in a bowl and cover it tightly with saran wrap. Let it cook completely, and then the skin will just fall right off with one little tug.

5 comments:

  1. I like anything with cream cheese in it and the word dip in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am not a fan of blue cheese. BUT. i'm not a fan of celery either, but i like it mixed in with other foods in just the right way. maybe this blue cheese is mixed in just the right way, i don't know! i'll have to convince you somehow to make some when i come up there so i can taste it. HMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you can come over while you're up and we'll make it together! and get drunk! and then drive to mom's house! WOOHOO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, drunkness can make food taste more betterer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good to me.

    (Around here, we say "Food isn't love. Feeding people is love." :-)

    ReplyDelete