Peach Crumble Pie

I finally got in the kitchen this weekend! I guess planting the garden inspired me.

Like I said on the phone, I was all prepared to try a new recipe for supper on Saturday night (Friday was pizza at mom’s), but Will decided we needed a “date.” I was glad to get out, but I’m pretty sure I could’ve made a better meal than what I had at the restaurant. Mostly because the mahi mahi was WAY overcooked, the potatoes tasted like they were from a box, and the only table we could get without a wait was outside on the patio (awesome!) next to a huge table of drunk smokers (not so awesome). The seafood bisque was amazing, though, so whatevs.

Sunday Mom and I made fajitas (SALSA) at her house and I made a pie I ended up bringing to grandma’s (SALSA PIE?).

This came from a Weight Watchers book, but don’t judge! It’s really, really good. And it smells so great when it’s cooking. Even will mumbled “delicious” around a mouthful and that made my heart swell pretty big. What is it about us that makes us equate cooking with love?

Peach Crumble Pie

(quickly – I did make a crust from scratch but obviously just switch that out with a premade one for you peeps with babies. HOWEVER, if you have a second to spare, I would recommend a homemade crust – not a Weight Watchers one, per se, unless you’re counting calories, but doesn’t from scratch taste so much better? Also, I can’t find the crust recipe online, so I’m not going to include it. It’s pretty good and simple though, so I might add it to this post one day if I even become that organized/driven.)

Filling:

3.5 lbs. of peaches, sliced or 3 16 oz. bags of frozen peaches, thawed (I used frozen – fresh isn’t out yet!)
handful of raspberries (again, I used frozen – and about two handfuls…)
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon, ground
¼ tsp ginger, ground
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:

2/3 cups rolled oats
¼ cup flour
½ cup light brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp water


Preheat your oven to 375.

Combine all filling ingredients and toss until well mixed and coated. Set aside.

For the topping, combing oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt.. Add butter, lemon juice, and water. Stir to combine.

Put your filling in your pie crust, then crumble the topping over. It will pretty much cover the entire filling, so YAY.

Bake for 40 minutes, then loosely tent the top with aluminum foil to prevent top from over browning. Bake an additional 40 minutes longer, until filling is hot and bubbly.

Ok, after the additional 40 minutes my pie still looked pretty liquidy and wasn’t bubbly. I thought maybe it would set a bit more on the way to mom’s, but it never did. I ended up cooking it for another 20 minutes in her oven, not with foil all over, but just around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. It was still a bit soupy to me (more cornstarch maybe next time, but I really think it was due to the frozen fruit instead of the fresh – those raspberries are packed in a ton of water, it seems), but it was awesome. It really made me feel like summer had arrived and it wasn’t like eating a regular ol’ peach pie you can get anywhere because of the raspberries.

Also, I love pie.

3 comments:

  1. PIE. I'm not a huge fan of pie but if it's made well, I like it. Also, if it's made by other people. So. Krista. That's all you, or Beardface.

    HEY, about potatoes tasting like they're from a box - I hate THAT -and I feel like when I make from scratch, they end up being a weird consistency. Do ya'll have a good mashed taters recipe? Sometimes we use Pioneer Woman's but I'm willing to accept others...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a great mashed tater recipe! Don't have it at my desk, but I'll try and post it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i can't wait for peach season. tell me again about the peaches, george.

    also i love you forever for PAH.

    ReplyDelete