Pizza Margherita, Pizza Dough, and Shrimp Pasta

I have been so crazy-busy since this weekend I can't even tell you what I've eaten. Well, I can. It's all been from restaurants, so I haven't cooked. So I was thinking what am I going to write about?

Copycat recipes!

Well, one recipe that is just a recipe that shares a name with a dish at a chain Itailan restaurant. And two other related recipes.

The first is a recipe I found a few months ago and I've made it every couple weeks just for me ever since. I think I kind of gave it to you - not like a recipe-recipe, but just a "here, do this" kind of note. Will won't eat it because you can clearly see the ingredients (he likes things mushed up and unrecognizable...kind of like a toddler) and I admit when I first made it, it left a strange aftertaste. But guess what? I ordered this same thing at (Johnny?) Carino's last night and I got the same aftertaste. I DID SOMETHING RIGHT.

PIZZA MARGHERITA

(A recipe with no quantities for the ingredients. Who needs those?)

You can use the Pillsbury thin pizza crust in a can (I usually do this), or you can make the crust, which I'll type out a recipe for that, too.
plum tomatoes (I actually just always use the reddest ones I can find)
olive oil
minced garlic
pesto (I like pesto, so I added this)
shredded mozzarella (LOTS)
salt-n-pepa (shoop)
fresh basil (Did you know they sell fresh basil in grocery stores? They do. In produce. Look up, usually.)

Slice your tomatoes. Not too thick or they will weigh your thin dough down! Toss them with some olive oil and garlic.

Spread the pesto on the dough, then arrange your tomatoes on top in a single layer. Top with cheese, then the basil.

BAKE UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN AND BUBBLY AND PERFECT.

If you came to my house in the summer, I would serve this to you on my porch with mojitos.

I guess every pizza is different, the first time I didn't use pesto and it was fine. Carino's used regular pizza sauce which I wasn't insane about, because it really took away from the freshness of it. I like this because it's like eating a freaking garden. I know you will like this because of that gross shit you and mom used to eat with the tomatoes and the basil in the microwave. This is essentially that, just on some carbs. And if I even like it, I know you will go wild with it. And it's EASY AS PIE.

HAHA PIZZA PIE.

Here is literally the only pizza crust I have ever made from scratch. You will probably never make it because it has to rise, and I can't promise it will be good because it's been FOREVER since I made it. I also have no recollection of where I got it from.


WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH

2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sugar

Add yeast to 1 cup warm water, let sit. Mix dry ingredients, then add oil. Add yeast mixture and knead for about 5 minutes. Let rise for 35-40 minutes. Roll out, add ingredients, cook in oven at 450 for 15-18 minutes.

Have you ever worked with yeast? While you're getting it ready, turn your oven on the lowest setting and when it heats up, turn it off. Put your dough in a oven safe bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Stick it in the oven. It won't be so hot it will bake, but it will rise. That is pretty much the only way I can get dough to rise.

My next recipe is also a recipe I don't think I formally gave you, maybe just a rushed e-mail to your desk saying "THROW THIS IN A POT, QUICK!" I can't remember. If I did send it, oh well, here it is again!

Will also will not eat this, but just because he really is a cranky toddler and it's not from a box.

CREAMY SHRIMP PASTA

1 package whole wheat penne (com'n, you know me!)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb peeled shrimp (no shit, right? who puts unpeeled shrimp in their pasta?)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I up this a good bit and add some Tony's...I like to eat AND clear up my sinuses. Two birds, one stone, that kind of thing.)
1 zucchini, diced (I LOVE ZUCCHINI)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cans Italian style tomatoes, drained and chopped*
1 1/2 cups heavy cream OR fat free half & half
1/2 tsp salt (who measures salt?)
2 tbsp minced fresh basil (you have that from making pizza!)

Cook the noodles like the box tells you to do.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Stir red pepper flakes and then add in oinon, zucchini, and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Add shrimp, tomoates, cream, and salt. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Sprinkle with basil and serve.


*Ok, wow. This shit is SALTY. Next time I make this I will use regular diced, canned tomotoes and I will drain them and just add some Italian seasonings. Or maybe rinse the Italian style tomoates? Who knows.

Tomorrow Will plays basketball so I doubt I will cook. I may make some of that potato salad I've been wanting. MMMM. Or do you like coleslaw? I have an awesome coleslaw recipe I'm all about.

However, Thursday I am FINALLY making the pork chops that I bought for LAST WEEK. With them comes a sweet potato casserole I like a little bit better than those covered in gooey marshmallows (but not NEARLY as much as I just love those fuckers when they're candied, mmmm) and...well, I have some fresh green beans I've got to use before they go bad, so do you have any tips or recipes you can share? I usually just do the sesame thing, but Will avoids them like the plague.

(Tip for the day: Don't marry a toddler. It's illegal and annoying.)

(Oh yeah, didn't you ask about pictures? If I have to host a photo it's on Flickr or Photobucket. But if you just want to throw up a picture on this site for a post, make sure you are writing under the "Compose" tab (look up and right of this box) and on the navigation bar on the top of this box, click the little picture of...well, a picture. Then you can upload a picture from your hardware to post on the blog! You can even center it. I like them centered.)

2 comments:

  1. gonna open a comments window and type responses while i read this post, k...

    ooooh. you did give me this pizza recipe and i have yet to try it. i'll do it soon, but i fully expect to eat the whole thing by myself. which is fine with me.

    i STILL eat that gross tomato shit, when i can find decent tomatoes. it's one of my favorite side dishes! it is GOOD, you weirdo. ;) fresh basil would be better than the dried, though. i will look UP in the produce aisle.

    oh hey, where do you even get pesto? is that in the deli or specialty section, or do you make your own (if so, how?) i haven't ever gone searching for it, but now that i think about it, i don't know why i haven't. i love pesto!

    i have my own post to make about saltiness. *sigh* i'll get right on that.

    i am not a huge fan of either potato salad or coleslaw, but it may be because i've never had really, really good ones. the coleslaw at TJ's ribs is pretty good, though, it has peanuts in it. so maybe i do like it, just not the basic stuff you find everywhere? hmm...

    i miiiight have a green bean recipe in my stack of new-and-untested recipes. let me go look and i'll post if i do.

    thanks for the picture tips! i'll try it eventually. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i buy mine in the aisle with the pizza sauce...i think it's all around the pasta sauce and noodles?

    i know you can make your own but don't you have to crush PINE NUTS? scary.

    ReplyDelete