Low Sodium 4Eva

Last night's quesadillas and black bean soup would have been PERFECT, had everything not been over-salted all to hell. Usually I buy the low-sodium taco seasoning in the little packets...Old El Paso brand, I think. Well, they were out of low sodium last time I stocked up, so I bought a few packets of regular, just to be done with my grocery list. Yeah. No. I think I've finally found the motivation I need to come up with my own taco seasoning mix. Do you buy or make your own? I've seen a few recipes online to make your own, and you can control the amount of salt that goes into it (and the amount of everything else! YAY CONTROL!) I've also seen recipes for making your own cajun seasoning (like Tony's) but, again, with the ability to control the salt content. HMM.

The soup was my own damn fault. There is no salt in the recipe, but I know I always have to add a pinch. I added more than a pinch. I forgot I was only cooking a HALF pot, and I added enough salt for a whole, and...well...I half-ass fixed it by adding more beans and broth, and throwing a couple of potato chunks in there to try to soak up the salt. Meh. I guess for that trick to work, it has to cook longer than I had time for. I was in a HURRY, because I always am.

Anyway, it wasn't bad! Everyone ate and was happy with it, I just know it was too salty, and today I FEEL GROSS. I think I'm retaining water...

Tonight, I'll bake some quick fish sticks (you can bake some quick chick stacks! OH MY POOR BRAIN) and tater tots while I prep the beef tips for the slow cooker the next day. Seeing a pattern here? One night of sticking a frozen meal in the oven while I prep for a home-cooked meal the next night. And so on. Repeat for the next several decades.

PS. I checked my tome for green bean recipes for you, but unfortunately all I have in there right now is sesame green beans, green bean casserole, and a couple recipes that involve adding a half ton of bacon. Probably not what you're looking for!

1 comment:

  1. i have never made my own seasonings, but i do use the low sodium stuff, even the tony's. :/ i retain water REALLY BADLY and it seems to have gotten worse as i get older. if i eat something really salty at a restaurant i can be sure that the next day my eyes will almost swollen shut! it's scary.

    i don't mind putting bacon with the green beans, BUT you have to buy a whole thing of bacon! and then find time to cook the bacon! which i never time for. plus the house is so small it gets smokey and then EVERYTHING smells like bacon for DAYS. i hate it. but i love bacon. i wonder if i could cook bacon outside? ;)

    i'm going to pick up the stuff the breakfast quiche soon i think! :)

    ReplyDelete