Shepherd's Pie

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. :)



I made shepherd's pie last night. You are the reason I learned how to make it. Do you remember calling me one time (or maybe you emailed?) asking if I knew how to make shepherd's pie? And I did not. And you were sad, because you were craving it. A friend's mom used to make it for y'all, and it was delicious and you hadn't had it in years and years. So (I think, if I remember) we both went hunting for recipes and this is what we came up with. Did you ever make some?

I did. And I've made it several times since. And I will make you some any time you want!

_______________________________________

Shepherd’s Pie

• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 small can sliced mushroom (optional)
• 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
• 1 can sweet peas, drained
• 1 packet French onion dip mix (dry)
• Salt, Tony’s, black pepper, and white pepper, to taste
• Brown gravy (from jar or mix)
• Mashed potatoes (either instant or homemade)
• Shredded cheddar cheese

Brown the ground beef over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper and a packet of French onion soup mix - just dump the whole packet in dry and stir it around. Drain the can of mushrooms (or you can wash some fresh ones and slice them up, whatever), and add mushrooms, garlic, and onion to the beef. Cook until onion is translucent, then drain the pan.

Drain the corn and peas. Or you can use frozen! I use cans for this, because it's easier for me. (And I only ever buy the "No Salt Added" canned veggies, don't worry!) Anyway, add corn and peas to the meat and keep on stirring it around until it's all warmed through.

WHILE you are doing all that to the meat, you can also juggle the potatoes and gravy. I had three burners going on the stove at the same time, and this was a quick meal to make that way.

In separate pots, whip up some instant mashed potatoes and some brown gravy, according to package directions. See, you can totally zone out here. I say go ahead and use instant mashed potatoes, because hello. You are hungry. You're in a hurry. It's been a long day. But if you want to make it homemade, that's noble and sporting of you! Krista has a great recipe for that!

I don't really know what to tell you for the gravy. Unless you have some leftover beef tips or something, you're going to want a gravy mix. There are all kinds, but I use Tony's roux mix. It's very easy to make - just whisk 2 tablespoons of roux mix with 1 cup cool water over medium heat in a saucepan. I made 2 servings of it, so...4 tablespoons of mix, 2 cups of water. Oh, and for the potatoes, I used the directions for 8 servings. There were some potatoes left over, but it's okay, Curt ate them.

Anyway, however you choose to make potatoes and gravy happen, please do so now. I always hit the gravy with a little white pepper, and the potatoes with some Tony's (or seasoned salt of choice). Taste and see for yourself what you want to season with, or if you even do. It's all going to come together in one baking dish here soon anyway.


Enjoy this dark and unfocused picture

SPREAD THE MEAT MIXTURE INTO A BAKING DISH. (See?) Pour the gravy in and carefully mix it all around. You'll have to eyeball the amounts here. Sometimes I make too much gravy and it won't all fit in the dish without slopping over. And you don't want the meat/gravy mixture to fill the dish all the way to the brim, because you still need room up top for the potatoes. One time I made so much of everything I had to use 2 casserole dishes. You can do that, too! If you want to double this recipe, go for it. Get one of those aluminum casserole pans and freeze one of them for later, even.

Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the meat mixture. This is going to be kind of messy. It will not look beautiful. Who cares? Top the whole mess with cheese! Put the casserole dish on a sturdy baking sheet to catch drips (mine ALWAYS drips, ugh). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and it’s bubbling around the edges.

Supreme. Comfort. Food.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had Shepherd's pie but this sounds awesome. I love anything with potatoes and cheese!

    Happy birthday, Krista!

    ReplyDelete