Fried Okra Succotash

I have been craving this for weeks.

As you know, I got this recipe from Mom (and/or you?) after y'all went to Branson that one time. I actually found the Silver Dollar City recipe if you're interested! They use squash, which is...interesting. I read up on the origins of succotash (because I AM A BIG NERD), and found that it traditionally contains - and actually is centered around - lima beans. But let's not call them lima beans, because they are butter beans. Since that's what succotash mostly is (a butter bean dish), I decided to throw some into mine.

Except...Shayne doesn't like butter beans. So I cooked a separate pot of beans and mixed them into my bowl, and let him do his own thing.

YAY vegetables. If it weren't for the fried okra, this would be the healthiest food in my regular meal rotation. If it weren't for all the butter.

_____________________________________________

Fried Okra Succotash

• 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small pieces
• 2 tbs olive oil
• 1-2 cans corn, drained (or equivalent in frozen corn)
• 1 bell pepper, chopped (or frozen bell pepper, that works too)
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cups frozen butter beans (lima beans)
• Frozen breaded okra (you can slice and bread your own, but come on now)
• Oil for frying
• 2-4 tbs butter or margarine
• Salt, pepper and Tony's - to taste

Cover the butter beans with water in a small pot, and bring it to boil on the stove. I like to throw a little chopped onion and a couple spoons of butter in the pot to flavor them up. Also, salt and pepper. Stir them every now and then, and keep them at a low boil - not too high, not too low, just bubbling happily on the stove while you do everything else.

Pour some oil into a frying pan and heat it nice and hot - you'll want a few inches for deep frying. Even better, maybe you have a Fry Daddy. This is one of the only things I use my little Fry Daddy for (the other is onion rings, and sometimes chicken strips), but I LOVE HAVING IT for this. Easy, easy, easy. Anyway. Heat some oil until it's frying-hot.

Now you'll want a big deep skillet or everyday pan. Coat the bottom with a little oil, heat it over medium high heat, and brown the chicken. Season with salt, pepper and Tony’s. I don't know if it's me or what, but I always have to drain chicken juices out of the pan as it cooks down. I don't know. Remove the chicken from the skillet when it's done, and set it aside.

Add some butter to the skillet, and the corn, green pepper, and onion. Stir often, until the frozen veggies are thawed and cooked, and the onion is softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add more butter if you want! Let it simmer all together while you fry the okra. If your beans are softened, now is the time to drain them and stir them in with the other veggies. If you're doing that. I just left mine on the stove and stuck a serving spoon in the pot.

Fry the breaded okra (you don't even have to thaw it, just fry it straight out of the freezer bag) and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle on some salt, so you will die faster of inevitable heart disease.

Now this part is kind of important - take the veggies that have been simmering in all that beautiful butter, and drain them. Drain them well. Because you're about to mix in the okra, and you don't want the fried coating to get soggy. Drain the veggies, remove from heat, and dump in the okra. Stir it around gently until everything is mixed together.



That's what I'm talking about. Fresh, delicious, nutritious - all that jazz - while still sneaking in a fried food.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I do love succatash. I'm not the hugest fan of okra/squash, but I like the idea of adding chicken in to make it more meal like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful, Kendra!! Wish I had some right now!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete