Master List

Yesterday afternoon I went a little crazy on my freezer, fridge, and pantry and threw out…well, I threw out almost everything. I have this bad habit of buying something and using it once (frozen raspberries), or buying something and NEVER using it (capers), or, the worst to me, buying something we only need SOME of, and what’s leftover is not enough to use (TACO SHELLS). Taco shells are a never-ending circle of Hell. There’s always a box of stale taco shells in my pantry. And there are still capers, because I couldn’t find an expiration date on them. What the hell are capers anyway?

So, yeah, I threw away everything that was expired. I filled a big black trash bag. I was embarrassed. And now we’re mostly out of food.

BUT I don’t want to go shopping and just start all over. I don’t want a pantry so stuffed full of shit we don’t need that I have to do this all the time. I want this to be a fresh start, an organized pantry, a fridge that smells pretty good, a freezer that you can find stuff in.

What I’m going to is (this is so dumb, honestly, I admit it) list the foods we have that need to be used NOW so I can stop thinking about them. Some part of my brain is not being used to something useful because it’s worried about why I bought so many carrots (sale!) or one stupid can of French onion soup (recipe I never made and have long sense forgotten!). Hopefully someone will read over this list and think, OH WOW! SHE HAS ALL THE INGREDIENTS FOR MY PINTO BEAN SALMON FIG PANCAKE. AMAZING.

And then you’re going to give me the recipe that correlates to my list, without having to buy a shitton of other groceries. Easy enough, right? Com’n y’all, I need you.
A work dude already beat you to it by suggesting Taco Soup! Are you going to let a dude show you up? No, no you won’t.

Ready? Ok, here’s my list.

Carrots (no, really, I have a LOT of carrots)
Pinto beans (2 cans)
Black beans (2 cans)
Kidney beans (2 cans)
French onion soup (1 can, haha)
Broccoli Cheese soup (ew? 1 can)
Tomato soup (1 can)
Pimentos (1 jar)
CAPERS (1 jar)
Cream of mushroom soup (1 can)
Cream of chicken soup (2 cans)
Cream of broccoli soup (2 cans)
Beef broth (2 cans)
Crushed pineapple (4 cans!)
Canned salmon (4 cans)
Canned tuna (4 cans)
Alfredo Sauce (1 jar)
Pizza sauce (1 jar)
Whole fig preserves
Penne noodles
Bread crumbs (so many bread crumbs)
Pancake mix (about to expire!)

Now, yeah, obviously I could make tuna salad, or pancakes, or a pizza, I get that. But I went ahead and listed that stuff anyway, just in case you wanted to play. A caper pizza, perhaps. God speed!



3 comments:

  1. Clearly, whatever it is, you are making SOUP.

    At the restaurant I used to work at, they did have a fig pizza. Now would be a good time to remember what else was on the pizza besides figs but NATURALLY I AM AN IDIOT AND CANNOT HELP YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL. okay. i don't have any recipes that i have personally tried, but here's what i would experiment with if i had this list to work from. (thanks, google!)

    penne alfredo with capers - http://blisstree.com/eat/penne-alfredo-with-capers/

    (i have no idea what capers taste like?! good luck with that)

    roasted carrots - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-carrots-recipe/index.html

    -AND/OR-

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/11/roasted-carrots-by-pastor-ryan/

    aaaand, i have a pineapple upside down cake recipe that i would modify to use more of the crushed pineapple instead of rings and cherries (original recipe is pineapple rings, with cherries in the center, and THEN crushed pineapple to fill in the gaps, but eh. minor details):

    "Melt 1 stick butter in rectangular pan. Add 1 cup brown sugar (packed well and high) - sprinkle the sugar over the butter til it’s all soaked up – spread evenly in pan. Place crushed pineapple on top.

    Mix 1 box pineapple flavored cake mix – pour on top. Bake as directed."

    we've definitely had that cake before, it's from mom's old files.

    maybe i'll have time to search some more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heeey you can make a fig cake.

    http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/22316/gateau-de-figue-%28cajun-fig-cake%29.html

    ReplyDelete