Sunday Bloated Sunday

Let's say you wake up on Sunday and decide to have bacon, eggs and biscuits for breakfast. You can go ahead and smear your biscuits full of apricot preserves or blackberry jam. You can go ahead and eat as much as you want - it's early! You'll work off all those calories in the course of the day. Well, maybe after a short nap you will.

Let's say that after your nap, you realize your green tomatoes are starting to go red and you should probably fry them if you're going to. It'd be shameful to waste them. So you fry some green tomatoes while the baby sleeps...

_____________________________________________

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

This is the recipe I have in my book. I'm not even sure where I got it. I used more than 3 tomatoes, because I needed to use them up. I made a TON, and when my neighbor came over to give me more cucumbers, I returned their plate to them (the one they gave to me full of SPICE CAKE last week!) with some fried green tomatoes on it. I highly recommend having a good relationship with neighbors whenever possible, it's beneficial to all involved.) ANYWAY, is this how you do yours? DISCUSS.

3 medium green tomatoes
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs or cornmeal (I used a mix of both)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Tony's (if you want!)

Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper, and let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in four separate, shallow dishes.

I did all that, PLUS I decided to salt and pepper my breadcrumbs, too. And I added Tony's all in my flour, like I do when I'm breading...well, anything. Must add more spicy, always.

Heat 2 tbs oil in a skillet on medium heat (I was using a dark skillet that drank up more oil than that, so your mileage may vary). Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. Fry the slices in hot oil for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until brown. Add more oil to the skillet as needed. Drain on paper towels, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

YUM. These were tasty and good. But I could only eat, like, two slices before I decided I was going to probably die. They are VERY heavy, rich and, well...fried. Enjoy in moderation! Pass some off to your neighbors.

I bet there's a lighter breading process that doesn't weigh them down so much, but I wanted to at least try it the old fashioned way before I go looking to modern it up too much. (I even briefly considered frying them in the leftover bacon grease before I came to my senses.)

_____________________________________________

WELL. Now you're pretty stuffed and uncomfortable, but it's cool. It's cool. You can have a light supper tonight, to balance things out. Maybe just a cucumber sandwich, or some spinach and a piece of fruit, or...oh wait. Fruit...there was something about fruit...some other produce to use before it goes bad. OH YEAH LEMONS.

I got a bag of lemons, and they are nice and ripe. Better use them, too. LET'S MAKE LEMON BARS!

Normally I don't care to make desserts - especially desserts that call for me to break out my electric mixer. I do it every now and then, but I don't love putting a whole lot of effort into sweets. For one thing, I don't have a huge sweet tooth, I'm more of a main dish type of girl. But the main reason is I DON'T NEED TO EAT THEM. Sugar + me = flying high and crashing hard. I feel awful when I'm recovering from a sugar binge. Like, for days. My body aches, I'm grumpy, I crave more sugar - it's worse than drugs.

WHO CARES, I made that recipe for lemon bars you posted! They were SO GOOD. I love lemon in any form (you know the yellow candies are always my favorite) but had never made lemon curd before. Now that I know how to do it, I'm a danger to myself. And others. Because guess what? I can't eat all those lemon bars. I hope my neighbors are home this afternoon.

Also: Ugh. UGH. Uuuuughhhh.

Tonight's dinner: tap water and regret.

_____________________________________________

EDIT: Oh man, I almost forget that I ALSO made the Pioneer Woman's Rosemary Rolls for dinner. They were awesome, obviously. The only problem I had was the rosemary kept falling off. I think if I had served them alongside a main dish, it would have been fine. But instead, I cut them open, stuffed them with ham and Swiss cheese, and made little delicious sandwiches out of them. Curt-approved!

And Crazy Horse-approved, too. We had to fuss at him for stealing the last bite of Curt's sandwich right out of his hand. Bad dog. (Smart dog, dog with good taste, but bad.)

And before anyone notices, yes rosemary is bad for dogs. But the piece he ate was scraped clean of rosemary and extra salt, for Curt's picky tastes. No creatures were endangered during dinner, except the ham. And it was too late to save him.

3 comments:

  1. The restaurant I worked at the last two summers used to do an appetizer with three fried green tomatoes and a crab cake with goat cheese on top. Delicious!

    I've never tried to make them myself...but we got green tomatoes in our farm veggies basket the other day...maybe I'll get some courage and try.

    Bought my first container thing of Tony's last night to make homemade from scratch soup. Ya'll should be so proud of this hopeless little KY girl learning to cook...I even texted Krista to get her opinion on whether Kroger brand was good enough to buy instead, as it was...like $2 cheaper...turns out...no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that sounds awesome - i want to learn to make crab cakes, too. maybe i'll eventually get around to that and pair them up. (and then i will diiie.)

    yay, that's exciting - let us know how the soup turns out. :) i honestly can't say i know much about alternative seasoning mixes because i never stray from tony's. i have brand loyalty like crazy. but maybe there is a cheaper kind out there that's just as good (or that you might even like better personally) who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra, I attended a cooking class in NO with a supposedly famous chef whose name escapes me now. Anyway, we made crab cakes and they were delicious. I have that recipe somewhere...I will look for it!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete