Lemon Bars and Caramel Swirl Brownies

I haven’t cooked in what feels like ages. I plan my weekly meals two weeks in advance and I got through one week but last week I just…quit. I threw in the dishtowel (literally) and said nuh-uh, we’re going to Popeye’s. I can’t tell you what I’ve been eating because I have no idea, but Will’s been noshing on fish sticks and French fries and tater tots and frozen pizza. I have the dishwasher full of salt-encrusted pans to prove it. Last night I got home from running on the treadmill and I stood over the sink and ate plums from the grandparents’ tree until I couldn’t stand on my wibbly legs anymore, than I went to bed. At 8:30.

What I’m trying to tell y’all is that I’m PMSing in a way only these two sisters can. And I’m bringing my nutritional needs down with me.

This weekend I did, for whatever ridiculous reason, decide to make THREE BATCHES EACH of brownies and lemons bars. So I’ll share those recipes.

First of all, pretty much the only food blogger I trust WHOLE HEARTEDLY (she hasn’t let me down yet!) is Whitney from Rookie Cookie. This lady knows her stuff. Also, I just went back and edited out an f-bomb in case she ever sees that I linked her. Obviously she is powerful.

Caramel Swirled Brownies

25 caramels, unwrapped
¼ cup evaporated milk
1 cup flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter, cut into small pieces
8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1¼ cup sugar
3 eggs

Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch pan with non-stick spray. Line bottom and two sides with a strip of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the two sides. Spray paper and set pan aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine caramels and evaporated milk. Melt caramels, stirring often, until smooth. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside. Stir occasionally while preparing brownies.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally. Once melted, remove bowl from the saucepan. Whisk in sugar and eggs. With a spatula, stir in flour mixture until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the batter and swirl with a butter knife.

Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes and remove brownies from the pan using the parchment overhang. Cut into squares.

(makes 9 brownies)


Lemon Bars

For the crust:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 tsp salt

For the filling:
6 eggs
3 cups sugar
2 Tbsp lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Combine the flour and salt and with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into the prepared pan, building up a 1/2 inch edge on all sides. Chill for 15 minutes.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.

For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust (crust does not need to be completely cooled) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.

Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.


My only issue was these was the baking times, but I think my oven is wonky. Both were great, but they were downright FANTASTIC the next day. And the day after. I know, because one batch came to work and I’ve been eating them nonstop.

Tonight we’re having spaghetti (sauce from a jar, meatballs from the freezer) if you were wondering. Lemon Bars for dessert!

I am going to dip my toe back in the cooking water in this next couple weeks and try out your chicken (more pictures of the baby eating, please) and a BBQ chicken quesadilla recipe that Emmy brought to my attention. Mom said you declined the offer of her quesadilla maker, so I took her up on it and giiiirl, that is all I want to make. That is pretty much all I ever wanted to make before, but now it’s easier.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, man. Friday we totally went to Popeye's. There was a coupon in the mail for a free 2-piece meal with purchase of a 3-piece meal and a drink, and we straight up purchased that shit.

    Anyway, you read my brain so good. I have been wanting something lemony. And chocolate. Maybe not together, but next to each other. This sounds so good. I may be okay at the dinner part of cooking, but I'm not much of a dessert maker. We followed up the green dinner with passing a box of Teddy Grahams around the table. I NEED more sweet tricks in my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hey, for the lemon bars, does the butter HAVE to be unsalted? i've been running across salted/unsalted butter specifications in recipes lately, and that's new territory for me. for the green rice, i went ahead and used salted (my idea of "regular") butter, even though it called for unsalted, and it was fine. in fact, i ended up adding in MORE salt because i plan to die of inflated blood pressure. same thing here, you think?

    i should read up on butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty simple - if you only have salted butter, just cut any salt from the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete