Sausage Pizza...kinda

Quickly! The store was having a sale on smoked sausage, so I grabbed two packs (turkey, of course).

I put the first in some jambalaya, but I want to do something different with the last pack. My first thought was PIZZA but I dismissed that as crazy and settled on just frying it up and putting it on some toast with some mustard (mmmm) but my brain keeps yelling NO I WANT PIZZA.

I did a quick search and even went to the Hillshire farm website but all I could find were combinations that were unappealing to me - barbecue sauce or Alfredo sauce.

That's where I'm stuck - the sauce. I usually don't even USE SAUCE.

I'm thinking some spinach and feta and sundried tomatoes, maybe...what would you do?

How would you create a smoked turkey sausage pizza?


5 comments:

  1. i have used smoked sausage in pasta with red sauce before, so i think a marinara sauce would do just fine. you wouldn't have to use much, just enough to make it not totally dry. or even pesto would probably not be terrible. or like you usually do - no sauce, lots of veggies! i'd throw it down with some green (or roasted red??) pepper, onion, and mushroom. my first instinct was to yell PINEAPPLE but i think we had that conversation before...

    maybe you could get fancy with your cheese instead of your sauce. pepper jack? a little cheddar for kick?

    when i'm experimenting i usually do half-and-half or small test portions to see which method i'm trying turns out best. with a pizza you could go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i (still) haven't made a pizza yet, but what about just mixing some minced garlic into some olive oil and lightly brushing the crust with that? i'm not sure how that would do, but hey. i'm trying here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO third post in a row.

    spinach and sundried tomato also sound awesome, btw.

    okay i'm done now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT KIND OF PIZZA DID YOU MAKE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I buy sausage, I'm pretty simple about it. I only buy spicy andoille sausage, and I either toss it on the grill when we're doing burgers or steaks, or I fry it up in a pan on the stove and make a sammich, but I use mayo instead of mustard, but mustard sounds gooooood.

    Great, now I'm craving a sausage sandwich. And I ain't got no sausage. DAMNIT. :)

    ReplyDelete