Mulberry Pie

So, I finally got to make a mulberry pie.

I found a recipe I liked, but it didn’t include a crust recipe, so I had to find another recipe for that.

I married these two recipes together and VOILA – PAH!

Foolproof Pie Crust
(from Tammy’s Recipes)

Yields: 3 pies with tops*

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour (the author suggests pastry flour but I didn’t have any, so plain ol’ wheat it was)
1 ¾ cups butter or shortening (shortening = flaky crust. I used 1 cup shortening and ¾ cups of butter, because that’s what I had)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vinegar
1 egg
½ cup cold water

In a large bowl mix flours, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter until pea-sized lumps remain.

In a separate bowl, beat vinegar, egg, and water. Add to flour mixture and mix just until dough forms. It will be sticky. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (I ended up getting busy so mine was in there for about 1 ½ hours).

Roll into shape on floured surface and it’s ready to go. For pie recipes that call for a pre-baked crust, bake at 425 until slightly browned.

*She says it make three medium thick 9 inch pie crusts with tops or two thicker crusts with tops. I was able to baaarely get two out, in fact about ¾ of one pie ended up bare on top. I didn’t think I made it that thick, so, keep that in mind.

Also, when I was rolling and mixing this (and P.S. it turns out my stand mixer cuts in butter – this made me SO HAPPY. I hate doing that part) it STUNK. All I could smell was vinegar and I knew it was going to be awful and I wanted to cry. I was composing hatemail to Tammy while I rolled it out. Obviously, you can’t taste/smell the vinegar when it’s cooked, so it’s all good.

This is going to be my go-to crust recipe from now on!

Ok, here’s the pie filling recipe I used:

Mulberry Pie

(from Taste of Home)

3 cups ripe mulberries, rinsed
2/3 cups white sugar
½ cup flour
3 tbsp lime juice
1 egg
2 tsp cinnamon sugar


Preheat oven to 400.

In large bowl, mix mulberries, sugar, flour, and lime juice.

(Alright, listen – I had to use a TON more mulberries. A TON. I doubled the recipe since I had two crusts so maybe I didn’t measure properly since it is a little difficult to measure sloppy, messy berries, but 3 cups seems way off to me. I used regular sized Cool Whip containers to freeze my berries and I think I remember about two cups going in each one - I ended up using THREE of those, plus the berries leftover from our cobbler, probably another 2 cups. SO, have plenty of berries on hand, just in case.)

Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.

(Here it says to create a lattice top, but I put the whole top on and cut some slits in the top and called it a day. I was tired and not in the mood to create lattice. Ugh.)

Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk egg and cinnamon sugar together. Lower the oven temp to 350 and bake for ten minutes. Take the pie out and brush the egg on top of the crust. Bake for another 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

All in all, this was awesome. It was literally (no joke) the BEST PIE I have ever had. And I have eaten a lot of pie. Even Will couldn’t keep his hands out of it, and that’s weird for him. We ate half of a pie by ourselves last night (yes, we both have belly aches this morning).

I plan on spending the rest of my summer afternoons scouting out Mom’s mulberry tree and hoarding the berries! I wonder why you can’t buy them frozen like other berries?




5 comments:

  1. welp, that's another whole page added to my 281 page book. GOD BLESS YOU.

    i don't know why you can't buy mulberries commercially. i even looked up 'mulberry' on wikipedia, and still don't know. i have learned, however, that in the middle east mulberries are called 'toot.' and that's amusing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. still editing...i'm on page 28 of 281. WON'T BE LONG NOW. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I'd recognize a mulberry if I saw one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wouldn't have either, before this past weekend. our parents have a tree, but i never paid attention to it before. turns out they're like long, skinny blackberries!

    ReplyDelete