Orange Chicken with Broccoli

So, I think I’m on a roll. I successfully made another decent meal again last night (Will rated this one a 7 as well, I’m not sure why I have him rate everything ever, BUT I DO). It was also out of my WW cookbook, so I’m officially in love with it. Three recipes that are low cal and fat and my husband approves of all of them? Keep ‘em coming. I have to say I really, really liked this one. It’s definitely going into rotation. (I don’t actually have a rotation)

Orange Chicken with Broccoli

4 tsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½” strips
2 cups broccoli florets
¼ cup water
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup orange juice
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
1 orange, peeled and sectioned

In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the ginger and sauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a small plate with a slotted spoon.

In the same skillet, sauté the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to another plate. In the skillet, combine the broccoli and water, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook, covered until tender-crisp, 3-4 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet; stir in the broth, orange juice, and soy sauce. Add the dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils and thickens slightly. Add the orange; heat through. Top with the ginger and serve.

I DID ALMOST NONE OF THIS CORRECTLY. First off, I used olive oil. Not a big deal if you ask me. I didn’t have fresh ginger, so when I seasoned my chicken, I just sprinkled some ground up ginger on it. I’m not sure how much I added – I tasted the chicken a couple of times until I thought it was delicious (It was delicious). I only had frozen broccoli, so I used that, which means I didn’t add water and cover. So basically I cooked my chicken like I normally would, then added everything but the orange. I did end up draining some of the juice out and dissolving more cornstarch* in it and then adding it back – I found the sauce way too thin for rice.

My favorite part was the orange slices. I halved each slice so I wouldn’t scare the shit out of Will and they were awesome. I’m thinking now every time I want to eat an orange I will heat it up. Ok, maybe not.

We also tried out your broccoli cheese cornbread muffins. A super odd combo, but they were amazing. Good job, sisterpants.

Anyway, at first this recipe looked kind of difficult and daunting but I was able to do it very quickly. So, I highly recommend it for people with babies.

*why does autocorrect want to change this to “cornstarchs”? WTF?


1 comment:

  1. oooh! i will make this soon, i think. i had an orange chicken recipe in my book, but it called for curry powder and cumin, and that sounded weird to me. i like the soy sauce and ginger concept so much better, so i replaced that one with yours.

    i'm glad you liked the corn muffins. :) i thought i had a keeper there, because shayne liked them the first time. then the second time, he said "i don't really like these, they taste like cabbage." oh wtf. they tasted exactly the same both times to me, so whatever. i'm still going to make them sometimes.

    yay, i have a rotation too! well, lately it's just been "tacos with salsa. quesadillas with salsa. nachos with salsa. more tacos. with, you know, salsa. i tend to hold onto things.

    oh, and i learned one more trick to shayne's quesadillas. he butters the tortillas. like, directly butters them with margarine, grilled-cheese style. i did some like that last night. WIN.

    i'm going to be winding down this weekend and probably laying low. like, pizza and chinese buffet low. but next week, i hope to have my 250 page Giant Book Of Recipes To Try basically done and ready to start playing with. i'll email it to you!

    ReplyDelete